At Hawridge & Cholesbury, we are fortunate to have extensive school grounds. This includes a fantastic spinney, which is home to our ‘Forest School’.
We are delighted to provide weekly opportunities, on rotation, for our pupils to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in our woodland area.
Led by Mrs Ansell, a qualified Forest School practitioner and Mrs Nash, our Year 4 Teaching Assistant, our pupils take part in a range of inspirational activities from shelter building, tool work and woodland crafts, to cooking on open fires.
Our ‘Forest School’ perfectly complements our curriculum, allowing children to take supported risks and become resilient, independent and creative learners. During their sessions, the children enjoy experiences which enhance our vision to be FRESH.
- The natural environment invites them to be fascinated with God's world.
- Working as a team encourages them to become rounded as they are challenged to work together to create and explore.
- Learning through nature reminds them to be eager to make a difference as they respect and value the natural surroundings.
- Each session creates spiritual opportunities for the children to connect with nature and find peace within the beautiful surroundings of the spinney.
- They have high aspirations for what they will achieve as they play and learn collaboratively in nature. By using tools and equipment not seen in the classroom, the children develop new skills and gain confidence outside of the classroom environment.